You will participate in all stages of the Software Development Lifecycle, including research, software architecture, software design, quality assurance and deployment for a Web-based manuscript submission, peer review and publishing system.
We are a successful international software development company creating award-winning websites and services for scholarly and academic publishers. Our offices are in the vibrant centres of Belfast, Brighton and at the heart of Silicon Valley in Los Gatos.
HighWire provides powerful technology solutions to influential societies, university presses and independent publishers who produce high-impact journals, books, and other scholarly publications. You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and a stimulating work environment that will keep you engaged! If you are interested in starting a progressive and gratifying career with a growth company that is charting new territory, then HighWire is the place for you!
You will participate in all stages of the Software Development Lifecycle, including research, software architecture, software design, quality assurance and deployment for a Web-based manuscript submission, peer review and publishing system. This position requires strong communication skills and solution focus and will involve a high level of collaboration with other team members including Architecture, Product Management, QA and Production.
- Plan, design, implement, test, and document application code in adherence to functional and non-functional (performance, scalability, security, usability) business requirements.
- Work with technical leads, project management, product owners, technical architects and testing staff to develop and deploy high quality applications.
- As part of an agile team, share responsibility for refining, planning, and estimating the duration and complexity of tasks.
- Develop systems that adhere to architecture standards, risk management and security policies.
- Unit test all new software thoroughly to ensure highest quality levels possible.
- Look at a problem pragmatically, and choose the solution based on what is fit-for-purpose.
- Deliver within acceptable timescales, to agreed quality standards.
- Provide support for production applications, ensuring highest availability through urgent correction of problems and issues.
- Produce updates to system documentation for completed developments to support defect resolution.
- Utilise system analysis skills to translate business requirements into use cases and produce system designs to agreed standards.
- Work with project management, product owners and senior technical staff to analyse and clarify client’s requirements and minimise ambiguities.
- Multi-task and work on multiple projects with varying priorities and deadlines.
- Integrate in-house and third-party software components to create the designed system.
- Work with operations and support teams to deploy applications to various environments and ensure they can be supported.
- 3+ years of software development developing scalable web-based applications.
- 3+ years of end-to-end experience in developing, packaging and distributing SaaS applications
- Knowledge of modern highly scalable web architectures including cloud technologies.
- Sound fundamentals of Java, Spring Framework, J2EE, EJB, RDBMS (SQL, MySQL and/or Oracle), Tomcat, Caching/Memcached, Reporting & Analytics.
- Strong object-oriented and data modeling experience, ORM.
- Team player and a proven ability to work with others in developing solutions.
- Ability to work on both large and small projects, with the same attention to detail.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate into technical requirements.
- Third level qualification in Computer Science
- Experience with Agile development methodologies.
- Experience with workflow, rules, event processing, and workflow, business.
- Experience using Eclipse, git, artifactory, gradle, and maven.
- Experience working with REST APIs, OAuth strategies, building and automating unit testing.
- Experience working with engineers in remote geographical locations.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Lambda, Step functions, S3, EC2, SNS.
- Experience developing productivity/automation tools.
This role will be based in either our Belfast office or in our Brighton office depending on the successful candidate’s desired location.
This is a full time role of 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
HighWire offers an outstanding total compensation package including excellent health and wellness benefits and a flexible and dynamic work environment.
HighWire is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Please note that we will only consider applicants who are currently legally entitled to live and work in the UK.