Excellent opportunity for a Buyer based in Newtownards
POSITION TITLE: Buyer
LOCATION: Head Office
REPORTING TO: Procurement Director & Senior Management Team
Willowbrook Foods is a privately owned leading fresh, frozen and cooked vegetable and salad food manufacturer based in Killinchy, with a further product site in Newtownards delivering to clients across the UK and ROI. The business is now seeking to appoint a Junior Buyer.
Reporting to Procurement Director you will support the procurement function onsite. You will deal directly with both existing and new suppliers to obtain and secure the highest quality products and the best price.
The ideal candidate will have experience carrying out a junior buyer/purchasing assistant role in a busy environment. You will be confident in your ability to negotiate with suppliers and have a proven ability to work well within a team to achieve desired outcomes.
- Research, select and purchase quality products and materials.
- Build relationships with suppliers and negotiate with them for best pricing.
- Process requisitions and update management on status of orders
- Arrange transport of goods and track orders to ensure timely delivery
- Analyse market trends and apply this knowledge to make insightful buying decisions
- Assess quality of stock received and escalate any discrepancies to suppliers and management
- Monitoring and control of stock levels to avoid any shortages/overages of packaging and consumables (with due regard to peaks in demand and promotional activity) working to management targets.
- Maintain database of all items, suppliers, terms.
- Must be a tough negotiator to get the best price for Willowbrook cost of sales.
- Managing all claims relating to faulty goods in a timely manner.
- Follow up on purchase order issues such as delivery delays, status of receipt of goods and price discrepancies.
- Ensuring that Stock rotation is satisfactory and that stock levels are recorded on a daily basis.
- Sourcing of any new packaging/consumables as required by product Development, Production, Quality
- Ensuring that Willowbrook have back supply of all goods where possible as required by key customers in case of any shortages.
- Advising Product Development as to the viability of any new product.
- Review Contract and payment terms across all suppliers and put in place any corrective actions including re-negotiation of any long-term Contracts as necessary.
- Liaising with Sales, NPD, and suppliers on a daily basis, identifying and preventing supply problems.
- Assisting the Q.A. team/ Goods in team with regards to arrival of goods on site and to ensure appropriate quality checks/stock rotation is satisfactory.
- Work effectively with others in the procurement team and other departments to ensure success.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Make timely, effective decisions, at a level appropriate to the role, using all of the information available, seeking advice as necessary, and using initiative to diagnose and overcome operating problems.
- Bring a strong knowledge and experience base to the business and communicate ideas and suggestions about workplace improvements.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement to ensure operational efficiencies and cost effectiveness in support of the strategy.
- Ensuring engagement and consultation with other team members, seek the involvement of and suggestions from other team members as appropriate, review suggestions or issues raised and provide feedback as necessary.
- Support and co-operate with any related changes identified and implement these changes within the Department or as appropriate.
Audit, Compliance, Quality and Health and Safety
- Ensure effective audit systems are in place to secure and retain certifications and on-going client requirements.
- Ensure the organisation discharges its legal and compliance obligations and that the company continues to evolve in line with changing requirements, legislative compliance and best practice.
- Ensure compliance to GDPR at all times and that appropriate training and procedures are in place to minimize risk, maximise data security and to handle any actual or potential breach.
- All staff is responsible for identifying their own job-related training and development needs, and for raising these needs through the appropriate channels, that is, by speaking to their immediate Manager or through Performance Appraisal / Personal Development Plan opportunities.
As and when considered necessary or appropriate the post-holder must be prepared to transfer to or undertake other duties in order to meet fluctuations or priorities in work demands at their immediate Manager’s discretion within reason and competence.
This job description may be subject to change in accordance with changing customer requirements or business needs. The post-holder is expected to co-operate with such changes to support the continued success of the business.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- 3- 5 years buying role with successful record operating in a high paced environment
- Degree or relevant qualification experience
- GSCE or equivalent in English and Maths
- Results driven
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint)
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES ATTRIBUTES
- Able to work to tight deadlines
- Critical thinking and negotiation skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Flexibility and Adaptability in approach and sourcing
- Relationship building
- Good team player
- Proactive and motivated approach
- Innovative thinking ability to make changes for improvement
To apply please click on the APPLY NOW button below to forward an up to date CV