An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Higher Level Engineering Apprentice to join our team at the Belfast site.
The apprenticeship will involve obtaining a Foundation Degree in Mechatronic Engineering on a part time
day release basis for 3 years which will be completed at SERC College. It will involve working alongside our
Engineering Team 4 days a week covering both Mechanical and Electrical disciplines.
We are also open to applicants who are on the second year of the foundation degree course.
The Foundation Degree comprises a total of 14 modules which are delivered over 6 semesters and is structured as below:
Year 1 – Semester 1
- Engineering Mathematics
- CAD Techniques
Year 1 – Semester 2
- Electrical & Electronic Fundamentals
- Programming & Embedded Systems
Year 2 – Semester 1
- Professional Studies
- Automation, Robotics & PLCs
Year 2 – Semester 2
- Mechanical Fundamentals
- Analogue & Digital Electronics
Year 3 – Semester 1
- Business Improvement Techniques
Year 3 – Semester
At recruitment stage/1st Year:
- To communicate effectively with assessor, tutors and immediate team members
- To enjoy working as part of a team and other apprentice/ students feeding back assignment/ work progress
- To be willing to take on new tasks and procedures within the work environment and complete work and assignments to agreed timelines
- To learn problem-solving techniques
- To follow instructions with reference to a superior when necessary
- To plan and organise daily tasks and assignments
- To learn the baking process to understand the kit and its functionality in bread production
- Have regular sessions with on site mentor
At 18 months in the role:
- To communicate effectively with assessor, tutors, immediate team members, and other engineering/ manufacturing departments
- To enjoy working as part of team and “buddy” other engineers
- To feedback improvements on new tasks and procedures within the work environment and help to implement them
- To apply problem-solving techniques
- To follow instructions without reference to a superior on most occasions and only when necessary
- To plan and organise weekly tasks and assignments
More than 3 years in the role:
- To communicate effectively with immediate team members, all other departments within the site and contractors/ suppliers.
- To contribute to achievement of team objectives.
- To set up new procedures, obtain feedback for improvements, implement them and review success
- To be able to identify the appropriate problem-solving technique (like RCA, 4M and SMED, etc.) and apply it successfully
- To follow instructions without reference to a superior on all occasions (excluding exceptional circumstances)
- To plan and organise monthly tasks and projects
- To complete work based project for dissertation and graduate with foundation degree.
- To attend college and pass module related coursework and exams.
- To conduct yourself in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- Uphold and promote company policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to your area of work, including Equality and Diversity.
- Keep up to date, so far as necessary, for the efficient executing of your job, with new legislation, procedures and techniques.
- To be conversant with and participate in activities and developments relevant to the post.
- To maintain strict confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required commensurate with the post.
- 2 GCE A Levels to include a STEM subject or a L3 vocational qualification in Engineering or relevant discipline, equivalent to 56 UCAS points
- GCSE Maths Grade C and GCSE English Grade C or Pass in L2 Essential Skills Literacy
- A keen interest in electrical and mechanical engineering.
Type of Role: Full Time, Permanent
Reporting To: Continuous Improvement and Controls Engineering Manager
Closing Date: 24th June 2019