Location UK / Belfast
Job Type Fixed term contract
Salary Not disclosed
Updated 2 days ago
Grid Control Engineer - Switching
Applications are invited for the above 5 year fixed term roles in the Real Time Operations Department in Belfast.
SONI are responsible for the safe, secure, economic and reliable operation of the transmission system in Northern Ireland and via a joint venture with EirGrid (the RoI TSO) is responsible for running the all-island Single Electricity Market (I-SEM).
SONI wishes to appoint a Real Time Grid Control Engineer (switching desk) to support the operation of the NI transmission system in the context of the all-island wholesale electricity market. This is a key control room role where the holder is responsible for ensuring that the N. Ireland Transmission system is being operated safely to agreed security standards.
The appointee will be responsible for a range of support functions for real time grid operations. These will include but not be limited to: system operations, security of supply, management of generation and transmission performance, outage management, supporting incident analysis, monitoring and testing to ensure efficient performance of grid operations, project management, provision of system support services and grid planning functions, provision of information used in settlement of the all-island market.
– Managing N. Ireland System security under intact, outage and fault conditions.
– Working with NIEN to ensure safe operation under all conditions.
– System studies – carrying out studies for outage planning and real time system security analysis including the use of WSAT.
– Assistance with generation and transmission outage planning, long term, short term and day ahead
– Checking Interconnectors and cross border schedules
– Responsible for voltage Control of the N. Ireland system to meet security standards
– Instruct load shedding, cycling and restoration to agreed procedure.
– Review of Scheduling Engineer recommendations for scheduling decisions under I-SEM and approval for N. Ireland. This can include ensuring Tx outages are in relevant I-SEM systems.
– Incident investigation and analysis including Balancing Market abnormalities.
– Development of system support tools such as renewable forecasting and load forecasting.
– Support and maintenance of data provision to the I-SEM, DSOs and internally as required e.g. Electronic Logs
– Project management when required.
– Liaising with third party providers and developing pro-active working relationships with EirGrid, Power Stations, DSOs, Interconnectors, Other TSOs and Regulators.
– Support with the development and achievement of departmental KPI’s and performance targets.
– Liaise with other SONI/EirGrid departments regarding provision of data required in Non Real time activities.
– Assist with the introduction and development of new technologies to the NI system.
– Point of contact for Regional/ European Control Centres e.g. GB/CORESO
– Update future European IS systems as required e.g. ENTSOe Awareness System, AMP
– Operations Instructions, Operating Guidelines, Policies. Review and issue as may be required from time to time
– Assist in the preparation and delivery of training for Control Room staff.
– Participate in simulation exercises and there development.
– Review and monitoring of plant margins, system demand forecast, renewable forecasts and generation to ensure security standards are maintained in real time for N. Ireland
– Under emergency conditions to coordinate with other TSOs (EirGrid and National Grid)
– Degree or relevant HNC and relevant experience
– Significant experience of loading / switching operations in a real time control environment.
– Detailed knowledge of the N. Ireland Transmission system
– Experience of more than one of the following areas:
o Transmission Systems
o Power Stations
o Power Systems Operations
o Generation, transmission system development planning
o Power system (including generators) protection maintenance or commissioning
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
– Ability to work and commit to shift work (incl. night shift) for which a shift allowance will be paid.
– Operational knowledge of EMS system and other real time applications required to monitor system security
The successful candidate should also be able to demonstrate:
– Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines using analytical skills that are both detailed & commercially oriented.
– Effective decision making and problem solving skills.
– Ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
– A strong team ethic as it is essential to work closely with the Real Time team in a 24/7 environment and other SONI/EirGrid departments such as Near Time.
– Ability to multi-task successfully.
– Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills when required.
– Fully flexible approach to job role and the changing business environment.
– Competency in the role and will be required to undertake continual development in line with changes to European Legislation.
– Experience of unit commitment software
– Experience of European Network Codes and European power systems
It should be recognised that the nature of this post will change over time as the needs of the business change and it is a requirement of the job that the holder will contribute to this development.
Please note all successful applicants need to be cleared for security purposes as this role involves use of the TETRA system.
This will be a two stage process including a combination of technical and competency based questions including assessment exercises.
Successful candidates must be able to travel if required (including travel to ROI) and may be required to work for extended periods in ROI.
This post is offered under Company Agreement Terms.
Completed applications (CV and cover letter) should be submitted by no later than close of business 28th June 2019.
SONI is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, race, religious or political beliefs.