The Ulster Hall & Waterfront Hall represent the live entertainment brands of two of Belfast’s most iconic live entertainment venues. ICC Belfast is the conferencing brand representing Northern Ireland’s only purpose-built international convention centre.
ROLE: Event Manager
REPORTS TO: Head of Event Operations
CONTRACT: 1 Year FTC
HOURS OF WORK: Your hours of work are on average 37 per week over a 4 week period. TheCompany reserves the right to amend working hours or change rosters at anytime to meet business/client requirements and will give at least 72 hours’ notice. The rota will include a mixture of days, evenings and weekend working five daysover seven.
Main purpose of job:
As part of the Belfast Waterfront and Ulster Hall (BWUH) team, you are responsible to the Head of Event Operations for the planning, management and delivery of all operational and relevant financial aspects of assigned events within both venues. You will lead the planning and practical delivery of the all operational elements of all BWUH conferences and events to the highest standard. You will be responsible for managing event operations to achieve the highest levels of service for customers and clients, whilst maximising sales and profits. You will work to agreed budgets, prepare regular forecasts and reports and utilise resources in the most efficient manner to deliver BWUH objectives.
To be responsible to the Head of Event Operations of BWUH for:
- The innovative creative planning and delivery of events to exceed client expectations.
- The effective, efficient planning and delivery of activities and services associated with the hosting of events.
- The achievement of all financial targets including secondary sales and the efficient delivery of services within budgets.
- To be able to work flexibly across the two venues of the BWUHs to ensure the necessary high standards of service delivery are achieved.
- On occasion to represent the Head of Event Operations and Lead Event Manager in the post holders sphere of responsibility.
- To be the main point of contact throughout the planning and contracted period of each allocated event.
Summary of responsibilities and personal duties:
- To be a leader within BWUH and to live and promote the values of BWUH throughout the organisation.
- To brief and manage the team of BWUH casual host team on assigned events.
- To work closely with all departments to ensure the future growth and on-going success of BWUH.
- Fully utilising all business information systems at BWUH including VEMS and the Time and Attendance System
- Compliance with company procedures.
- To undertake such other relevant duties as may from time to time be required.
Financial – For all assigned events:
- To negotiate with external suppliers, providers and contractors to ensure ‘best value’ for BWUH and its clients.
- To produce and update a live budget for every allocated event including projected income and expenditure.
- To produce all financial information and manage this process to completion within company regulations.
- To work hand in hand with the catering contractor to maximise revenue, client and customer experiences.
- To drive secondary sales, promoting internal services and those provided by external suppliers to maximise on secondary income for the venue. This includes upselling and of services in accordance with department targets.
- To book all operational services & contractors required for each allocated event within budgets, raise and close all PO’s of all departments for each allocated event.
- To book all casual staff within BWUH policies and in accordance with event budgets.
- To undertake the financial input for all technical orders, closures and re-charges, in accordance with the information forwarded by the allocated technical representative.
Operational – For all assigned events:
- To be the primary client liaison for the planning, organisation, delivery and administration of all allocated events at BWUH.
- To work closely with the assigned technical planning representative for each event to ensure all client enquiries are being handled in a timely and professional manner.
- To produce and update as required, using the VEMS system, a comprehensive event summary.
- To provide the Head of Event Operations with accurate statistics and management information as required.
- To produce all event documentation including briefing sheets, radio call sign sheets, risk assessments, event day checks and emergency procedure documentation and undertake all staff briefings as required.
- To assist in the development, implementation and administration of all operating policies, processes and procedures.
- To check all areas pre-event to ensure that they are clean, set as per requirements, and
- presentable to the highest standards for all clients and customers. This will include liaison with the technical representative to ensure their equipment is operational and set/staffed as per the client requirements.
Customer Service – For all assigned events:
- To manage and maintain communication channels with clients ensuring that information requests and those of their agents are being dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner across all relevant departments.
- To build and maintain effective relationships with clients, offering excellence in customer service in a bid to ensure repeat business.
- To develop creative and innovative solution to exceed client expectations in how best to use the product and services of BWUH.
- In conjunction with a representative of the sales team, conduct familiarisation visits and advise clients on the facilities and services available at BWUH.
- To monitor and manage the event throughout the contracted period to ensure that high levels of client and customer service in all departments are maintained.
- To assist the Head of Event Operations in promoting a quality systems approach, with the intention of achieving excellent standards of service quality and a view to obtaining appropriate external quality accreditation, for example, Investors in People (IiP).
Health and Safety:
- To be responsible for ensuring that clients are aware of their legislative, BWUH policies and procedures for all Health and Safety requirements.
- To ensure that the reputation of the BWUH is protected and that clients and their agents are aware of and are adhering to the venues guidelines, rules and their contractual obligations.
- Management of event health and safety for all allocated events as per policies and procedures developed by the Event Safety Manager and BWUH.
- To manage all alarm activations during your allocated event including evacuation of the building in emergency situations.
- To produce and complete internal event health & safety documentation and to ensure that clients supply their necessary information.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of two years management experience within a conference, entertainments or sporting venue in managing and planning events and front of house operations.
- Strong results and delivery focus, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Competent computer literacy / excellent Microsoft Office skills, specifically PowerPoint, Excel and Word and Outlook.
- High level of initiative and responsibility and the ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- The ability to consistently manage a wide range of issues, at pace and high volume.
- A third level qualification in a relevant subject such as event management, hospitality operations or an equivalent qualification;
- Health and Safety or First Aid Qualification
- Relationship building skills – enjoy engaging with a wide variety of stakeholders, with proven ability to influence.
- An extensive knowledge of health and safety within venues and events.
- Proven experience of effectively leading a team of people including communicating clearly and delegating responsibility/accountability to direct reports to ensure that the required standards of service, reporting and financial performance is delivered.
- Proven experience of P&L management and accountability with including experience of forecasting sales, meeting revenue targets and managing costs
- A minimum of two years’ experience of dealing with operational contractors directing event requirements and managing the associated costs.
BWUH reserves the right to short-list only those applicants who have demonstrated the appropriate level of experience as noted in the Job Description.
Organisational skills: the ability to plan and organise workloads to tight deadlines to ensure action plans are developed and operational objectives are achieved. The ability to identify event related goals in the short, medium and long term. Works well towards challenging objectives, has high standards for self and others, meets agreed deadlines. Good communication and presentation skills with an ability to listen to and convey complex information.
Customer care skills: the ability to deal at all levels with customers with excellent standards of customer service in a timely manner. Strong interpersonal and customer care skills. A personable individual, able to confidently build positive, respectful relationships with team, company colleagues and customers.
Staff & Resource management skills: the ability to directly supervise sub sections of event operational staff and associated resources to ensure that objectives are completed to the desired standard and timescale. Positively and actively engages with and supports the activities of the team in the achievement of their objectives and freely shares knowledge and information.
Health and safety skills:
The ability to ensure that the proposed and actual event set ups are compliant with all policies, procedures, licensing and legislative requirements. Associated facilities are at all times safe for use by the public and that the welfare of all persons within BWUH premises is not compromised. A sound understanding of the importance of health and safety in a supervisory role in high risk situations and a full understanding of all precautionary procedures.
Drive, Energy & Persistence: Is self-motivated and shows resilience in difficult situations, flexible and accommodating to meet the varying demands of a commercial business. Has high standards for self and others, meets agreed deadlines. Allocates time to longer-term activities, always looking for opportunities to do things more cost effectively, eliminating non-value added activities.
How to apply
To apply for this post, please send a comprehensive CV that details your relevant qualifications, experience, and work history along with a covering letter outlining how you meet the essential and desirable criteria for the role and monitoring form via NI Jobs;
or by post to: Human Resources, BWUH Ltd, Ulster Hall, Bedford Street, Belfast BT2 7FF.
The closing date for application is Tuesday 10 May 2019 at 12.00pm.
We expect interviews to take place on 16 May 2019.