Senior Software Engineer, Embedded
The C/C++ Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design and development of Cayan software components that are deployed to our countertop and handheld Payment Capture terminals (Genius). The Genius products are highly secure devices capable of handling contact and contactless smart cards, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay etc., as well as providing value added services for both the Merchant and paying customer. Working within a team, the Senior Software Engineer will develop primarily on C++ and C, and is responsible for utilizing a variety of web protocols to integrate capabilities to our payment partner’s Point of Sale systems (PoS), providing web services to PoS, and consuming web services from our Payment Gateway.
The Senior Software Engineer will also help mentor and develop more junior members of the team in all aspects of the Software Development Lifecycle, instilling best practices and a commitment to quality in all deliverables.
- Design and develop applications to leverage traditional card and evolving mobile payment technologies, including Smart Card (“Chip and PIN”), Contactless Cards, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay etc.
- Use C++ and C programming languages to deliver high quality, easily maintainable production code
- Develop secure software, using hardware acceleration and trusted computing modules to securely capture, store and transmit sensitive payment data
- Implement secure end-to-end transactions, featuring synchronous and asynchronous cryptographic algorithms and digital signatures
- Use SOAP and JSON based web technologies as both client and server within the payment ecosystem
- Participate in the entire software development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through software and test design, implementation and unit testing, to verification and release.
- Apply software design principles, including coupling/cohesion, decomposition/modularity, encapsulation/information hiding, and separation of interface and implementation, and teach these practices to more junior members of the team.
- As part of a customer-focused team, seek understanding of and value in our customer’s requirements, and actively shape the product from an engineering standpoint
- Participate in team workshops to generate ideas and high-quality technical solutions – picking the right solution whilst balancing idealism and pragmatism
- Assist with troubleshooting and repairing defects
- Simplify and improve existing technical methodologies
- Adhere to and apply overarching internal practices and policies with respect to coding standards, unit testing, lean development, and status reports
- Assist in project management activities: Estimation, Scheduling, Planning, Tracking progress
- Assist with training and mentoring of others on the team.
- Assists with hiring (Interviewing, Phone Screens).
- BSc or MSc or equivalent in Computer Science or related field
- Experience of developing in C++ or C (and ability to learn C++ if only C background)
- Experience of at least one of XML, JSON, HTML
- Experience with Design Patterns, Refactoring, OO Design and related areas
- Experience of Linux development
- Expected to be self-starters who can operate well under a variety of different situations and types of projects, ranging from a team of one to a team of many.
- Passion for and self-motivated interest in Software Development as a profession, not just a job
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, communication and organizational skills
- Must be proactive, self-motivated, attentive to detail, and able to work well under pressure
- Strong communication skills
- Team player with a desire to learn and a willingness to teach and mentor as leader of a team
- Experience in a senior role on software development teams
- Able to take ownership of, and responsibility for, assigned work
- Eligibility to work in the UK on a full time and permanent basis.
- Experience in a leadership role on software development teams
- Working experience in C++ or C with Embedded Linux
- Database design and development
- Web client and server programming skills.
In addition to a very competitive salary we also provide an excellent benefits package including: private medical care, health cash plan, contributory pension, life insurance and income protection.
You also get to work in an award winning office and enjoy 25 days annual leave + 10 public holidays in addition to many other little perks such as lunch every other Friday, fresh fruit and more.
Have a look at how we work; tsys.com/belfast