We are seeking an experienced Principal Java Engineer to lead a new team responsible for delivery of components within an Enterprise scale data platform which underpins this and other strategic initiatives.
We are working on a major strategic initiative, setting a new standard of excellence in the provision and support of customers, products, and services within the Payments Industry. We are seeking an experienced Principal Java Engineer to lead a new team responsible for delivery of components within an Enterprise scale data platform which underpins this and other strategic initiatives.
This large programme of work incorporates ingestion, transformation and exposure of disparate data sources spanning multiple enterprise and product platforms all within a modern Data Lake platform architecture.
The Principal Engineer will develop components primarily using Java within a, containerized, high throughput messaging infrastructure.
This role will present the right person with great opportunities to grow within a global payments company.
- Design and develop efficient, scalable and high throughput solutions for data processing; ingestion, transformation and exposure.
- Contribute to architecture and design decisions in partnership with other engineering and platform teams responsible for systems hosting and processing data
- Collaborate on data acquisition and problem definition to iteratively improve our solution
- Be an inspirational technical leader; train, mentor and motivate team members by setting an example as to how software development projects can be successfully executed
- Lead your team through the deliver lifecycle from Requirements Analysis through to Release!
- Collaborate with team members to ensure that deliverables are technically accurate and useful in a timely manner – we build quality into all stages of the software lifecycle, with a focus on end-user observable (and testable) system behaviours
- Identify critical activities & tasks on projects, help with estimation and planning, ensure timely and accurate communication of status, resolution of issues, and contribute beyond assigned tasks – adjusting priorities when appropriate
- Be a team player and role model, exhibiting a professional attitude, building work relationships, demonstrating flexibility and supporting workplace ethics
- Focus on continuous improvements to push the business towards new and improved ways to use data to for better decision making
- Experience of leading a team
- Experience working in an Agile or Lean environment
- Proficient in developing complex Java solutions
- Experience with lightweight Message Queue technologies
- Experience working within a High Throughput environment
- A solid understanding of the interplay between Quality of Service, Integrity and Throughput etc.
- Exposure to MAP R-DB or wide column stores like; Cassandra and MongoDb
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Eligibility to work in the UK on a permanent and full-time basis
- Exposure to Kafka
- Experience working within a containerized environment
- Experience with Python / Scala (primarily used for ETL tasks)
- Exposure to Avro and Service Registry
- Exposure to Open Source data processing frameworks eg. Hive, Spark
- Use of JMX for resource monitoring and management
- Experience working with Hive & Spark for batch processing
In addition to a very competitive salary we also provide an excellent benefits package including: free car parking, private medical care, health cash plan, contributory pension, life insurance, income protection and free subscription with Belfast Bikes.
You also get to work in an award winning office and enjoy 25 days annual leave + 10 public holidays in addition to many other little perks such as lunch every other Friday, fresh fruit and more.
Have a look at how we work; tsys.com/belfast