Excellent opportunity for a Managing Surveyor (NI) based in Dunmurry
Job title: Managing Surveyor (NI)
Reports to: Divisional Commercial Manager
The Managing Surveyor will report to the Divisional Commercial Manager and have line management responsibility for their Project Commercial team(s), taking the lead commercially for contracts they are responsible for. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the project delivery teams, responsible for the commercial management of their projects throughout GB and NI.
The successful candidate will be tasked with the development and implementation of the company’s commercial strategy and for the projects that they are responsible for. He/She will be expected to demonstrate leadership and people management skills, to deliver an efficient commercial and contractual management service to Company projects.
The post holder must exhibit excellent interpersonal skills to engage, inspire and motivate people to drive the business forward and achieve our goals. He/she must have the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with clients, sub-contractors, staff and other stakeholders
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the project team’s business strategy and business plans, working closely with the team to roll-out key initiatives and achieve the strategic goals.
- Lead and support a team of Surveyors. This will include people management interventions such as performance management, individual focus reviews, manpower planning and the continuous professional development of the team.
- Mentor and coach your commercial team members in line with company standards and values, to maximise the potential of both the team and the individuals in line with the company values and behavioural competencies.
- Work closely with project teams and senior management, to provide comprehensive commercial advice and guidance including identifying and implementing commercial recovery plans on underperforming projects.
- Maintain effective communications throughout pre contract and project teams.
- Develop, implement and maintain sound commercial practices that are congruent with construction contracts under their control.
- Establish the cost reporting structure and procedure for their projects.
- Strive for continuous improvement and efficiencies within the commercial team. Complete regular operational and budgetary reviews on all construction sites with the Commercial management teams.
- Timetable and lead contract review meetings in line with the accounts timetable to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of project cost reports which detail forecast final cost, value and profit reconciliations, analysis of cost overruns and recovery plans.
- Summarise and report the commercial performance, actions and issues arising to the Divisional Commercial Managers in advance of the divisional cost meetings.
- Assume responsibility for all contractual issues that may arise including accountability for the resolution of contractual issues.
- Lead commercial relationship with client, partners & supply chain, building respectful, trusting and productive relationships.
- Oversee the application for payments to ensure they are accurate, appropriately valued, certified and received on time.
- Provide assistance to the pre-contract bid teams as and when required.
- Agree supply chain procurement strategy with contracts managers and buyers. Monitor performance of supply chain in line with the agreed strategy.
- Ensure payments to Sub Contractors are made in line with their Subcontracts.
- Understand, manage and lead administration of contracts to maximize project performance and in line with Company policies.
- Provide input to Pre-start and Post Contract review meetings.
- Produce commercial information to assist insurance department’s negotiation of insurance claims.
- Participate in weekly Managing Surveyor meeting and SIGs.
- Working conditions
- This is a demanding role requiring a flexible approach to working hours.
This role can be based out of Head Office in Dunmurry.
The successful candidate will be expected to travel as part of their role to construction sites, Company fixed locations or other locations as requested by Management.
Degree Qualified in Quantity Surveying, Civil Engineering or Construction Management or equivalent. Candidates without this level of education may be considered of they can demonstrate suitable Commercial Management experience.
Full Drivers licence.
Professional qualifications such as CIOB, RICS or ICES.
- At least ten years’ experience working in construction with at least five years’ in commercial management.
- Experience leading and managing a team to achieve multiple objectives.
- Experience dealing with clients, contracts and methods of measurement.
- Experience administering common forms of construction contract conditions particularly NEC and/or JCT and CECA Blueform Subcontract.
Skills & Competencies
- Have the ability to build strong, trusting relationships with internal, external customers and other stakeholders.
- Exceed customer experience with positive actions to create a memorable experience.
- Exhibit strong and pragmatic influencing skills.
- Consistently achieve results, identify opportunities and take action to meet the required standards.
- Strategic thinker with vision and diagnostic skills to evaluate and mitigate business risk.
- Proactively seeks new and improved ways of doing things.
- Demonstrates personal resilience and adapts as the requirements of the business environment changes.
- Has the ability and desire to encourage, inspire and support others to deliver.
- Is able to facilitate, resolve conflict and identify acceptable compromise.
- Self-motivated. Capable of working under minimal supervision and on own initiative.
- Able to work to tight deadlines in high pressure situations.
To apply please click on the APPLY NOW button below to forward an up to date CV
Closing date 1st March 2019.
Farrans Construction is an Equal Opportunities employer.