Location UK / Ulster
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Salary Not disclosed
Updated 7 days ago
The Maldron Hotel Belfast City are now recruiting for a Hotel Accountant.
Hotel Accountant – Maldron Hotel Belfast City
Objective of the Role
Reporting to the Hotel General Manager and Regional Financial Controller, the Hotel Accountant will provide business acumen to the General Manager and the Hotel Management team.
1. Work directly with the Directors of Finance, Central Team & Hotel Management, on Accounting and Financial issues.
2. Management of the production of the annual statutory accounts to completion.
3. Responsibility for the integrity and security of data and information held on the Finance Management System and its related files and the coordination of upgrades to the system.
4. Oversee all aspects of reporting and cash management for the hotel.
5. Responsible for setting departmental objectives, work schedules, budgets, policies, and procedures.
6. Recruit, manage, train and develop your team.
7. Monitor the appearance, standards, and performance of your team with an emphasis on training and teamwork.
8. Work on special department projects as needed such as system conversions, new software implementation and hotel conversions.
9. Oversee monthly closing and post-closing activities, such as perform detailed financial statement variance reviews, research and resolve issues arising throughout the closing and post-close period, review and approve balance sheet reconciliations, perform workpaper reviews, and review and approve wire transfers.
10. Coordinate cash management needs for hotels: this includes review of actual and projected cash flow reporting, review of owner distributions, and monitor cash requirements and working capital balances.
11. Supervise cash flows, revenue, and owner reporting for focused and full-service hotels.
12. Evaluate and streamline business processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness within the department
13. Implement and manage departmental processes and procedures to ensure strategies and directives of the department are carried out
14. Be open and receptive to challenges to prevailing practices/beliefs, involving others in decision making.
15. Keep up to date with Dalata Hotel Group Plc Strategy.
16. Translate strategy into operational reality by delivering high quality, professional and innovative services.
17. Align individual objectives with organisation strategy.
18. Plan and conducts staff meetings on a regular basis.
19. Attend various other related meetings to obtain and disseminate pertinent information.
Customer & Guest Focus
1. Serve as the main Accounting contact for the hotel.
2. Preparation of monthly management accounts including Profit and Loss Account, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow.
3. Preparation of weekly financial reports including forecasting of profits, cash and payroll.
4. Assistance in the preparation of books and files for audit and declaration of VAT and payroll taxes, including compliance with payment deadlines
5. Identification of areas where value can be added including revenue and cost opportunities.
6. Income Audit – Ensuring that all sales are recorded accurately and that income metrics are tracked and analysed so as to promote action.
7. Payroll – Highlighting/ generating reports for individual departments within each property addressing problem areas. Processing payroll and ensuring that rostering, time sheet input and payment via EFT are conducted in an effective and efficient manner.
8. Cash/Bank Control – Ensure that all cash is managed and reconciled correctly and that there is a system in place for controlling the handling of cash throughout each property.
9. Accounts Receivable – Ensure that the system of recording, invoicing and chasing of payments is done in an effective manner and that each property’s debtor is tracked and monitored periodically.
10. Accounts Payable – Supervision of creditor process to include monitoring of PO system from sign off to matching of delivery dockets and invoices to sign off on creditor reconciliations at month end.
11. Pro-active contribution to the overall property management with a particular emphasis on the maintenance of the control environment and cost management.
12. Provide guidance and training to managers and staff on finance procedures including cash, purchasing, debt collection etc. to ensure strict adherence to financial controls.
13. Ensure compliance with all departmental/company procedures and highlighting issues if necessary.
14. Work closely with wider hotel team to ensure a functional understanding of departmental financial reporting and other metrics including wage %, GPs and P&Ls.
Team and Partnership Working:
1. Builds a positive working atmosphere by networking and developing trusting relationships with co-workers, to deliver the best service to external customers/guests.
2. Ensure Team Members are developed effectively and generate a culture of high quality standards for relationship building, customer service, selling techniques, and billing and processing contracts.
3. Provide direction and directives to the departmental Team Members in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities and achieving management objectives
4. Assess actual performance against standards to determine whether the team is on target to reach goals and take corrective actions as necessary
5. Encourages and supports teamwork and the celebration of team success.
6. Participates effectively as a team member, respecting the contribution of others.
7. Understands the need for shared goals within the team and is actively involved in achieving them.
8. Recognises, respects, and utilises the expertise and contributions of others.
9. Projects a positive image when engaging with customers/guests.
10. Strives to enhance and influence high quality and professional services at all times.
1. Communicates regularly, consistently and in a timely manner to keep everyone appropriately informed.
2. Maintain good communication and working relationships with all hotel departments.
3. Maintain professionalism at all times when communicating with customers/guests both on the telephone and directly.
4. Makes effective and appropriate use of available communication processes.
5. Communication style is open and approachable.
6. Recognises communication is a two way process and demonstrates effective questioning and active listening skills with your teams and others at all times.
7. Actively engages in the giving and receiving of feedback in order to highlight areas of improvement and lessons learnt.
Effective Planning & Time Management
1. It is important that you develop effective strategies for managing your time to balance the conflicting demands of the job role.
2. Have the ability to set your clear goals, break your goals down into discreet steps, and review your progress towards your goals.
3. You must be able to priositise your work load and adapt to the changing demands of the role.
4. You must organise your work schedule; i.e. list making to remind you of what you need to do; persevering when things are not working out and always avoiding procrastination.
1. All members of staff are expected to treat those with whom they come into contact in a courteous and respectful manner.
2. Adheres to all health, sanitation and food safety rules and regulations
3. Reports all potential and real hazards immediately
4. Checks that the highest standards of personal hygiene, dress, appropriate uniform, appearance and conduct is maintained by all employees in the department
5. All staff are expected to equally comply to all policies and procedures within the organisation.
6. Staff are expected to demonstrate their commitment to the hotel by their regular attendance and the efficient completion of all tasks allocated to them.
7. All staff must comply with the Smoke Free Policy and associated procedures.
8. All staff must co-operate with others on health and safety, and not interfere with, or misuse, anything provided for their health, safety or welfare.
9. All staff must follow the training they have received when using any work items their employer has given them.
10. All department managers are required to adhere to Hotel’s Equal Opportunities Policy and associated procedures throughout the course of his/her employment.
11. All staff will maintain high standards of personal accountability.
12. Comply with hotel security, fire regulations and all health and safety and food safety legislation
13. Act in accordance with policies and procedures when working with any hotel equipment and computerised systems.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed and amended in the future to include any other reasonable duties, projects or tasks as may be requested from time to time and to reflect changing organisational requirements, changing staffing levels, etc.
. Hotel Accounts experience
. Working knowledge of Opera