Location UK / Belfast
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Salary Not disclosed
Updated 4 days ago
Engineer - Access Planning, Belfast.
Applications are invited for the above permanent role in our Access Planning team, Belfast.
EirGrid plc is a leading Irish energy business, dedicated to the provision of transmission and market services for the benefit of electricity consumers.
EirGrid’s role is to deliver quality connection, transmission and market services to electricity generators, suppliers and customers utilising the high voltage electricity system. We are responsible for the Grid infrastructure required to support the development of Ireland’s economy, as well as connecting the Irish Grid to the European Grid. EirGrid plays a key role in the operation of the Single Electricity Market (SEM) which services the island of Ireland.
EirGrid holds licences as the independent electricity Transmission System Operator (TSO) and Market Operator (MO) in the wholesale trading system in Ireland, and is the owner of the System Operator Northern Ireland (SONI Ltd), the licensed TSO and market operator in Northern Ireland. The Single Electricity Market Operator (SEMO) is part of the EirGrid Group, and operates the Single Electricity Market on the island of Ireland.
Operations, Planning and Innovation (OPI)
The Operations, Planning and Innovation function comprises highly skilled professionals with backgrounds in engineering and business/commerce.
The core responsibility of OPI is to manage the operation of the power system ensuring that the lights stay on in a secure, reliable, sustainable and economic way. OPI is also responsible for the long term sustainable development of the transmission system in order to meet the future needs of all users of electricity on the island of Ireland. Creating a culture of continuous improvement that drives technical and process innovation is central to delivering on these roles.
OPI delivers services for all electricity users on the island of Ireland. It seeks to meet the needs of large energy producers and consumers connected directly to the transmission system and all users connected to the transmission system via the distribution system.
There is an opportunity within OPI in SONI’s Access Planning team based in Belfast. The Access Planning team is responsible for determining suitable and cost effective connection methods for all generator and demand connections to the transmission system as well as analysing the transmission impact of distribution connected generators and loads. The team is also responsible for co-ordinating pre-energisation activities for new generation connections and ensuring they are ready for operation.
The role requires a high degree of proficiency in carrying out technical analysis of the power system using standard available products and in-house analysis tools as well as strong organisational skills.
In order to perform well within these roles candidates must possess a high degree of competency in the following areas; written and verbal communications, working with people, analysing and problem solving, organising work and achieving objectives.
– Working with team and line manager to manage a range of technical and commercial projects designed to achieve regulated targets, meet stakeholder needs and/or satisfy company requirements.
– Carry out technical analysis to a high degree of accuracy. The types of technical analysis undertaken in Access Planning include:
o Steady state load flow, voltage and short circuit analysis;
o Power quality/harmonics analysis; and
o Transient and dynamic voltage and frequency stability.
– Utilising existing tools and work with teams to improve our use of these tools. The range of tools used includes PSS/E, Power Factory and Plexos.
– Managing and co-ordinating the timely delivery of pre-energisation activities for new connections. This includes liaising with connecting customers, NIE Networks and other departments within SONI to ensure pre-energisation requirements are met.
– Contributing to the development and implementation of changes to the SONI Grid Code to facilitate new technologies and industry advancements, and implementation of the European Network Codes.
– Liaising with the industry as required to understand stakeholder needs, and to guide, persuade and influence others through developed skills of communication and diplomacy.
– Preparing written and verbal reports for internal and external audiences.
– Working collaboratively with other teams to deliver on EirGrid Group’s strategy.
– Staying up-to-date with national and international developments in your area.
– Focusing on seeking ways to continuously improve the way we work to make it more efficient and effective as well as transparent and easy to understand for non-technical audiences.
– Managing own performance through skills development, delivering on targets, seeking opportunities to learn and showing technical and personal leadership and mastery in own field.
– Performing all work to a high standard with a focus on on-time delivery.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
– An electrical engineering degree or equivalent with a minimum of 2 years’ experience.
– Experience carrying out power system analysis and proficient in the use power flow analysis tools.
– Ability to work collaboratively with customers and stakeholders.
– Experience using analysis coupled with professional judgement to make decisions which drive investments.
– Ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
– Experience conceiving and introducing innovative ideas, solutions or new ways of doing things.
– Excellent organisational and communication skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work effectively as part of a team and on own initiative.
– Commercial awareness with the ability to make decisions and recommendations in all aspects of a projects implementation.
– Strong understanding of the industry, environment and context. In particular knowledge of policy, market design and regulation driving the evolution of the industry.
– Appreciation of technology evolution which could bring transformational disruption to the industry.
– Experience of working within a similar environment.
Closing date for applications: 8th March 2019
SONI is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, race, religious or political beliefs.