Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager ...
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects to be; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We use the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using. We deploy to multiple public clouds as well as building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance. We push out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world and leverage immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data per day. We are transforming our industry through the application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing while we are key contributors in the open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank by solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide.
This role is for the technology team that is in charge of our UI framework. This is a major component of the technology transformation program which is building a new application operating system for State Street, covering everything that an application DevOps team would work with on a daily basis:
- We evaluate the latest in web technologies.
- We build a modular responsive platform for all web applications.
- We develop a library of generic responsive components.
- We create base framework classes that abstract complexity from application developers.
- We provide standard CI/CD pipelines for web applications.
- We use the latest technology to create cloud native applications for ingesting, transforming, retrieving, analyzing, processing, auditing and securing data for use internally and by our customers.
- We leverage cloud infrastructure to deliver elastic, highly available, scalable and resilient systems.
- We provide a consistent, managed, globally addressable view of data and integrate attribute based access control across data at rest, in motion and operation.
- We use and contribute to open source technologies ensuring we have access to the most efficient tools for a given task.
- We rely upon Kubernetes as a microservices architecture and “kubectl as a service” across public and private clouds.
- We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management, networking & service mesh.
- We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards.
- We operate in an evolving environment where new technology and processes are rapidly adopted without losing quality.
- We develop application archetypes & training materials and assist application developers in making the best use of this infrastructure.
- We do all this in a true DevOps fashion with agile infrastructure and a follow-the-sun mandate.
- We are a geographically distributed team, including fully remote workers.
We are looking for energetic, hands-on, strong UI Engineers with proven experience building enterprise responsive web applications.
- You will work with other members of your team to evaluate the latest in web technologies.
- You will help design and develop a responsive platform application and implement a common library of generic responsive components.
- You will assist other application teams with migrating their existing application to the new platform.
- You will help identify, maintain, code review and enhance reusable components and assist other teams in adopting a collaborative approach to building applications.
- You will work with other members of your team to investigate feature requests, perform detailed analysis, create specifications, build, test and implement new functionality.
- You will diagnose and correct problems in live infrastructure in support of our production clients.
- You will leverage frameworks, tools & automation to ensure quality software deliveries.
- You will help standardize on key monitoring metrics and alerts that will drive the DevOps nature of the team.
- You will support a follow-the-sun operations approach, working with colleagues across three continents.
- You will work in an agile way, using agile development and infrastructure techniques.
- You will collaborate with your peers across the transformation effort ensuring that best practices are followed throughout the organization.
- You will mentor and assist in training more junior members of your team including recent graduates.
- You will be an active member in the Open Source communities surrounding the technologies that we use on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will have the following skillset:
- A degree in computer science or related computational discipline or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Solid experience working with Angular2 or ReacJS.
- Demonstrable experience in working on production-grade systems.
- Ability to learn about new technology innovation and creativity in applying it to business problems.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively in English both writing and speaking, and the ability to communicate technical subjects effectively through diagramming.
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company.
- Hands-on experience with CSS building responsive components and layouts.
- Experience building, packaging, and setting up CI/CD for web applications.
- Experience with building visualisations with D3 or similar graphing tools.
- Experience dealing with large sets of data, advanced data visualizations and animation techniques is preferred
- Experience in working on an Open Source project.
- Experience working in a financial services environment is a plus, but not a must-have requirement.