Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager ...
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects to be; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We use the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using. We deploy to multiple public clouds as well as building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance. We push out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world and leverage immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data per day. We are transforming our industry through the application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing while we are key contributors in the open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank by solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide.
This role is within the Quality Assurance Team that is responsible for developing a program to implement quality across the technology transformation program. This program is building a new application operating system for State Street, covering everything that an application DevOps team would work with on a daily basis:
- We work within a world class multi-disciplinary team and need to create test strategies for all elements of the software stack from the infrastructure management through to UI’s.
- We operate in an evolving DevOps environment where new technology and processes are rapidly adopted without losing test quality.
- Continuous Quality of deliverables is paramount to success in this environment and this is reflected in the values of all team members and project sponsors.
- We use the latest technology to create cloud native applications for ingesting, transforming, retrieving, analyzing, processing, auditing and securing data for use internally and by our customers.
- We leverage cloud infrastructure to deliver elastic, highly available, scalable and resilient systems.
- We provide a consistent, managed, globally addressable view of data and integrate attribute based access control across data at rest, in motion and operation.
- We use and contribute to open source technologies ensuring we have access to the most efficient tools for a given task.
- We rely upon Kubernetes as a microservices architecture and “kubectl as a service” across public and private clouds.
- We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management, networking & service mesh.
- We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards.
- We provide standard CI/CD infrastructure.
- We operate in an evolving environment where new technology and processes are rapidly adopted without losing quality.
- We develop application archetypes & training materials and assist application developers in making the best use of this infrastructure.
- We do all this in a true DevOps fashion with agile infrastructure and a follow-the-sun mandate.
- We are a geographically distributed team, including fully remote workers.
Multi-phase full coverage Tests are a key part of maturing our platform and enabling continuous delivery. Ensuring we build and maintain a solid application platform for use within State Street. We are looking for strong Software Engineers / Automation Test Engineers across our infrastructure and technology development streams to work within and guide the team towards continuous delivery. This is a unique role within the market and while it does involve working from the QA perspective it is more technical in nature and would appeal to an engineer looking for a change in career direction in a unique approach to the role of QA.
- You will work with other members of your team to specify and test new and existing functionality, contributing to unit level through to system validation, with a focus on integration testing of rest layers, and their associated integration points live and stubbed.
- You will work with other members of your team to investigate feature requests, perform detailed analysis, create specifications, build, test and implement new functionality.
- You will diagnose and correct problems in live infrastructure in support of our production clients.
- You will leverage frameworks, tools & automation to ensure quality software deliveries.
- You will help standardize on key monitoring metrics and alerts that will drive the DevOps nature of the team.
- You will support a follow-the-sun operations approach, working with colleagues across three continents.
- You will work in an agile way, using agile development and infrastructure techniques.
- You will collaborate with your peers across the transformation effort ensuring that best practices are followed throughout the organization.
- You will mentor and assist in training more junior members of your team including recent graduates.
- You will be an active member in the Open Source communities surrounding the technologies that we use on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will have the following skillset:
- A degree in computer science or related computational discipline or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Demonstrable experience in a selection of the following tools/technologies: Junit, Pytest Selenium, Jmeter, custom test scripting, micro services, mocking utilities, CI/CD, hypothesis testing, etc.
- Experience in one of: Java, Python, Go and related toolsets.
- Experience of running continuous testing environments, functional vs non-functional testing as well as reporting/analysis of test results.
- Experience of setting up and maintaining test infrastructure and frameworks ensuring a stable and evolving test environment.
- Demonstrable experience in working on production-grade systems.
- Ability to learn about new technology innovation and creativity in applying it to business problems.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively in English both writing and speaking, and the ability to communicate technical subjects effectively through diagramming.
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company.
- ISTQB or ISEB foundation level.
- Experience in test development, test implementation and test planning.
- Agile workflows and tooling : JIRA, Confluence etc.
- Test management tooling : ALM, Test rails, Zephyr
- Experience in working on an Open Source project.
- Experience working in a financial services environment is a plus, but not a must-have requirement.