Kingsbridge Private Hospital is currently recruiting for additional Nurses within the Recovery Department. The successful candidates will join an experienced Recovery / Theatre team and will be based in the state-of-the-art hospital on the Lisburn Road.
Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast
Fixed term (maternity cover, 9-12 months)
37.5 per week (open to negotiation)
Please direct salary enquiries to the recruitment team
The post-holder will provide high quality direct patient care within the hospital’s Theatre and Recovery Ward in the following areas: Orthopaedics, Gynaecology, Plastic Surgery, Urology, ENT, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, Spinal Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, and Endoscopy.
- To provide skilled nursing care and to demonstrate a high standard of nursing practice in the assessment, implementation, and evaluation of patient care.
- To ensure that care is delivered as per hospital policies.
- To participate in the ‘Induction Programme’ of nursing and other non-clinical staff, as applicable after appropriate training.
- To ensure that custody, administration, and recording of medication are in accordance with hospital and NMC guidelines.
- To inform the Recovery Manager of any matters affecting the professional standard of patient care.
- To supervise the professional work of non-medical staff.
- To support other team members in their professional work.
- To be aware of current issues and policies within the hospital.
- To assist the Recovery Manager with the cost-effective use of resources in patient care delivery.
Standard of Care:
- To deliver high quality patient care that is clinically effective, evidence-based, and appropriate.
- To assess, plan, implement, and evaluate care as part of a collaborative programme of patient care.
- To ensure that correct aseptic techniques are used at all times.
- Work alongside the multi-disciplinary team, to ensure the safety of patients at all times.
- To administer medicines in accordance with NMC guidelines and hospital policies and procedures.
- To keep accurate and complete records consistent with regulations, policies, and procedures.
- To demonstrate an organised, effective, and timely approach to all tasks.
- To recognise when colleagues need assistance and offer practical support.
- To work in a way that minimises risks to the health, safety, and security of self and others.
- To prepare appropriately for the care / intervention / treatment to be undertaken including the risks to be managed.
- To take the appropriate action to manage an emergency, summoning assistance immediately when this is necessary.
- To communicate effectively within the multi-disciplinary team throughout the hospital.
- To co-ordinate patient care and liaise effectively with other disciplines involved.
- To maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- To liaise and communicate effectively with patients and relatives regarding patient care and treatment.
Health & Safety:
- To be aware of the hospital policies and practice in accordance with regulations.
- To ensure safety is maintained in the post anaesthetic recovery stage.
- To prepare the patient psychologically and physically for any planned procedure.
- To support others in maintaining health, safety, and security.
- To respond to, record and report any adverse events or incidents relating to the intervention / treatment with an appropriate degree of urgency.
- To accurately test equipment and identify any deviations from required performance standards together with their likely causes.
- To correctly and safely install and integrate equipment components.
- To identify and assess the potential risks involved in work activities / processes for self and others.
- To report to the Recovery Manager any reportable incident or accidents involving staff, patients, or visitors.
- To attend annual statutory training in Fire, Manual Handling, Infection Control, and Cardio- pulmonary Resuscitation.
- To report any defective or faulty equipment to the Recovery Manager, as appropriate.
- To ensure proper care and usage of equipment in the Theatre / Recovery area.
- To assist with and participate in the in-service training programme (including staff orientation induction programme) to enhance patient care.
- To maintain and up-date own professional development.
- To supervise qualified and unqualified staff.
- To attend annual pre-registration assessment update sessions.
- To report on study days / courses attended to other members of Recovery staff.
- To rotate as required, for professional update, to ensure statutory and personal development is achieved in line with the Personal Development Plan agreed during the annual appraisal.
- To share updated skills with night duty staff (if applicable) to further improve 24-hour continuity of patient care.
- With appropriate training and support, to take charge of a shift without direct supervision.
- To participate in integrated governance and risk assessment and its reporting, as required.
- To participate in the on-call rota for the department.
The above list is not exhaustive and additional / alternative tasks may be required from time to time as directed.
Qualified RGN with Theatre / Recovery experience or ODP Diploma.
Live NMC Registration at time of application.
Up to date administration of intravenous medicines course.
Experience to include 2+ years post registration.
Experience in anaesthetic care and airways management.
Membership with a professional body.
Experience in Orthopaedics, Endoscopy, Gynaecology, General Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Urology, and Paediatric Surgery.
Current experience in a busy Theatre / Recovery will be looked upon favourably.
Special Knowledge and Skills
Good interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
Evidence of problem solving and decision-making skills.
Good team player.
Ability to be reflective, accept criticism and act constructively.
Willingness to accept additional responsibilities.
Punctual time keeper.
Ability to work core hours.
Flexibility for cover.
To apply, please complete and return an application form and equality monitoring form to the recruitment team.
Closing date for applications is Friday 18th January at 4pm.