Are you the type of person who thrives in a fast paced corporate environment, who enjoys working with colleagues across the world? If this sounds like you then this is an opportunity you should apply for!
We are looking for a Legal Project Manger to join our highly-regarded Legal Services team at Baker McKenzie, Belfast.
The successful applicant will work alongside lawyers and other colleagues based in Belfast and around the world, providing project management support, both strategically and operationally. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a significant change in the way legal services are delivered, both at Baker McKenzie and around the legal sector. The role focuses on client service, technology, and process innovation, to increase efficiency and improve the quality of our services.
You will need excellent project management skills to succeed in this unique role. We welcome applicants who have gained experience within a professional services environment (i.e. accountancy, banks or legal). Candidates will have a good track record of championing process change, building credibility with diverse teams, challenging the status quo and taking on responsibility for making things work.
Although based in Belfast, the role will involve some travel, predominantly within Europe.
- Contributing to the development of project objectives (including at proposal stage) and supporting team and peers in achieving project goals.
- Coordination of specific (usually multi-jurisdictional) legal matters, often including client contact, process development & refinement, and fee/scope management (including budgeting);
- Design and deliver project status reporting (for internal and/or client review) and collaborative IT sites, and resolving issues / troubleshooting where needed.
- Internal consultancy – including continuous improvement projects, gathering learnings, analysis & know how, refining process and implementing change, advising on innovative use of IT for matters.
- Acting as subject matter expert on a range of topics, including project planning, process design, scoping, fee estimation and budget preparation, use of technology in support of matters, fee and scope management, status reporting, business needs relating to finance systems.
- Providing for legal project management training needs as appropriate (including intranet materials, occasional departmental sessions, feeding into global project management training development, delivering training and partner coaching).
- Building and running relationships with a number of external service providers.
Ensuring that new approaches to matters are embedded and that benefits are realised.
- Undergraduate degree with 2.1 classification or above preferred.
- Previous project management experience within a consultancy, professional services firm and/or legal practice.
- Advanced proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel, but also including PowerPoint and Word. MS Project experience desirable).
- Strong numeracy skills
- Strong interest in the use of technology to solve problems
- Prince2 (or other standard) Project Management certification.
- Previous experience in the use of only project management technologies such as SharePoint
- Experience designing data visualization (e.g. in Tableau) and other types of data-rich and/or visual reporting, including dashboards
- Lean Six Sigma qualifications or awareness of process design methodologies
Technical and Personal Skills:
- Being willing and able to cover a wide range and level of tasks – from thinking strategically to troubleshooting detail where needed.
- Focus on collaborative working and always on efficiency.
- Creative and pioneering thinking; being able to spot issues and implement solutions.
- Poise and patience under pressure; ability to multi-task.
- Superb time management, judgment, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Expert, high-impact communication and presentation skills.
- Legally eligible to work in the country in which the position is located.