Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day and are the world’s third largest investment manager w...
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We’re using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data per day, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank but solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide.
This role is for the technology team that is in charge of our technical writing. This is a major component of the technology transformation program which is building a new application operating system for State Street, covering everything that an application DevOps team would work with on a daily basis:
- We use the latest technology to create cloud native applications for ingesting, transforming, retrieving, analyzing, processing, auditing and securing data for use internally and by our customers.
- We leverage cloud infrastructure to deliver elastic, highly available, scalable and resilient systems.
- We provide a consistent, managed, globally addressable view of data and integrate attribute-based access control across data at rest, in motion and operation.
- We use and contribute to open source technologies ensuring we have access to the most efficient tools for a given task.
- We rely upon Kubernetes as a microservices architecture and “kubectl as a service” across public and private clouds.
- We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management, networking & service mesh.
- We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards.
- We provide standard CI/CD infrastructure.
- We operate in an evolving environment where new technology and processes are rapidly adopted without losing quality.
- We develop application archetypes & training materials and assist application developers in making the best use of this infrastructure.
- We do all this in a true DevOps fashion with agile infrastructure and a follow-the-sun mandate.
We are looking for a Lead Technical Writer to join our Technical Writing Team.
- Lead a technical writing team in developing internal documentation for software products and services.
- Provide ownership of the build and maintenance of a library of content describing the software and services utilised within the bank, supporting both regulatory compliance and knowledge exchange.
- Develop best practices for internal technical documentation creation and communication.
- Ensure a consistent format and continuity of style for technical literature targeting a global software developer audience.
- Prioritise and track tasks assigned to the Technical Writing Team.
- Mentor colleagues including developers in best practices for the creation of technical documentation.
- Write, publish and maintain high-quality internal technical documentation.
- Plan, develop, organize, write and edit operational procedures, platform documentation, API specifications and knowledge base articles.
- Manage updates and revisions to technical literature.
- Build best practices of automation and continuous delivery of software documentation aligned with agile software delivery.
- You will support a follow-the-sun operations approach, working with colleagues across three continents.
- You will be an active member in the Open Source communities surrounding the technologies that we use on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will have the following skillset:
- Prior experience of leading and mentoring a team of technical writers.
- Proven ability to drive change and influence across organizations.
- Proven technical documentation experience, preferably for large, complex environments embedded with and across development teams.
- Previously authored technical documentation for software products and services.
- Experience communicating features and business benefits to a non-technical audience.
- Exceptional listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to understand complex systems and issues and communicate these succinctly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Ability to learn about new technology innovation and creativity in applying it to business problems.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively in English both writing and speaking, and the ability to communicate technical subjects effectively through diagramming.
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company.
- Prior experience of building a team of technical writers.
- Understanding of DevOps methodology.
- Extensive use of FrameMaker or similar tools.
- Experience with Agile methodologies and tooling including JIRA & Confluence.
- Experience in working on an Open Source project.
- Experience working in a financial services environment is a plus, but not a must-have requirement.