Location UK / Ulster
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Salary Not disclosed
Updated 4 days ago
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant
As one of the world’s leading law firms, we advise many of the largest and most ambitious organisations across all major regions of the globe. With over 4,000 people, including 2,400 lawyers and over 2,000 business services professionals, operating from our global network of offices across Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and North America, Herbert Smith Freehills is at the heart of the new global business landscape providing premium quality, full-service legal advice.
We are constantly looking for ways to innovate to meet our clients’ needs and, in developing our Alternative Legal Services practice group, have built a global offering which delivers high-quality, cost-effective legal services for document or information-intensive, defined process work. Our global team of more than 350 lawyers, legal analysts and technologists operates across the firm’s international network with offices in Belfast, Brisbane, Johannesburg, London, Melbourne, Perth, Shanghai and Sydney. Our presence across time zones means that we can support matters for clients across the globe in a wide range of industry sectors.
Our Belfast office opened in April 2011 with 26 full-time employees and has grown to almost 200 employees today, in response to client demand for a cost-efficient and highly structured approach to document management and review in an increasingly competitive legal market. The team in Belfast comprises a mix of qualified lawyers and legal analysts working across our global network. Our value proposition recognises that the success of our business and our clients relies on the skills, knowledge and ideas of all our people. Our environment is one in which high performance is expected and, in return; we will provide you with rewards and opportunities tailored to your personal and professional goals.
This position will play an important role in supporting the ongoing success of our Alternative Legal Services business (ALT) by creating a professional and welcoming environment for visitors to our Belfast office and providing effective and efficient support as a key member of the Business Services team.
• Providing general administrative and operational assistance to the Belfast office.
• Supporting with arrangements for meetings and other functions, including the collation of papers and other materials.
• Responsibility for replenishing stationery and other office supplies in accordance with the office stock take and ordering procedures.
• Assisting with the supply, stock, maintenance and storage of all office supplies, equipment and furniture.
• Coordinating seating and furniture arrangements and security passes for joiners, leavers, movers and visitors.
• Logging and reporting technical faults, arranging for the repair of office equipment fixtures and fittings and monitoring progress.
• Liaising with cleaning, security, maintenance and other contractors on site.
• Facilitating out-of-hours and weekend access to the building and office.
• Coordinating confidential waste paper and other waste disposal services.
• Coordinating the use of car parking spaces.
• Meeting, greeting and registering of all clients and visitors at reception and directing them as appropriate.
• Maintaining security by following procedures, monitoring logbook and issuing visitor badges.
• Handling telephone calls, dealing with enquiries and relaying accurate messages as required.
• Setting up of meeting rooms and private offices before and after use.
• Liaising with others members of the Business Services team to ensure that audio-visual and other IT requirements are in place for meetings and other functions.
• Liaising with suppliers regarding the catering and refreshment requirements for meetings and other functions.
• Assisting with in-coming and out-going mail in accordance with office procedures.
• Assisting with couriers arrangements (including receipt and dispatch).
• Providing support with general office management (including checking tidiness and cleanliness of the reception area, meeting rooms, private offices and all other areas) and escalating any issues.
• Providing cover for office related functions and events as required.
Key Performance Indicators
• High level of responsiveness to day-to-day demands from key internal stakeholders.
• Timely and effective delivery of work.
• Prioritising queries and requests in the context of business needs.
• Strong understanding of the ALT’s global operations and ability to work co-operatively with colleagues across our global network.
• Contribution to the goal of having the best alternative legal services offering of any of the global elite law firms.
Key Internal Relationships
Business Services Team
Office Operations Team
Operations and Projects Team, UK, US & EMEA
ALT Management Team, UK, US & EMEA
Other Legal and Business Services Managers
Business Services Receptionists, PAs & EAs
GCSE grade ‘C or above’ in Mathematics and English.
1 year previous experience working as an administrative assistant and/or receptionist (or a similar role).
Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
Strong organisation skills.
Sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
2 A levels (or equivalent qualification)
Typing speed of 40wpm with accuracy.
Personal Leadership: takes pride in their work and positively impacts those around them
Builds personal credibility
Takes responsibility for their work
Maintains a positive outlook
Demonstrates our values
Connects and Collaborates with Others: contributes to building team spirit and collaborates with a diverse range of people
Contributes to a positive team environment
Collaborates with others
Contributes to the Success of Others: proactively supports others to achieve success
Understands their work environment
Supports others to excel
Achieves Results: goes above and beyond to contribute to the success of the firm
Delivers high quality work
Finds better ways to do their work
Enhances the Client Experience: brings a ‘client service’ mindset to their interactions with others
Provides excellent client service
Acts with the client experience at heart