Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager ...
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects to be; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We use the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using. We deploy to multiple public clouds as well as building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance. We push out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world and leverage immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data per day. We are transforming our industry through the application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing while we are key contributors in the open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank by solving real problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide.
This role is for the technology team that is responsible for field engineering across the technology transformation program which is building a new application operating system for State Street.. Field Engineers support the full-lifecycle of DevOps software product delivery using best practice techniques and leading edge technologies which covers everything that an application DevOps team would work with on a daily basis:
- We work with the business and project management to understand and identify key project and business outcomes.
- We partner with software developers, testers, platform teams, and product managers to ensure releases are delivered and managed with a repeatable and auditable process.
- We design next-generation architectures leveraging real-time streaming, serverless and distributed ledger platforms.
- We provide best practice CI / CD techniques and expertise including versioning, deployment models (red/black, canary), pipelines, security, and metrics.
- We provide next-generation application runtime and operations expertise includes monitoring / alerting, dashboards, security, audit and compliance.
- We drive product requirements and continuously strive towards improvements in process and productivity through technology improvements.
- We work closely with the product teams and are responsible for communication with the Development teams.
- We do all this in a true Agile fashion with iterative design, development and delivery.
- We use the latest technology to create cloud native applications for ingesting, transforming, retrieving, analyzing, processing, auditing and securing data for use internally and by our customers.
- We leverage cloud infrastructure to deliver elastic, highly available, scalable and resilient systems.
- We provide a consistent, managed, globally addressable view of data and integrate attribute based access control across data at rest, in motion and operation.
- We use and contribute to open source technologies ensuring we have access to the most efficient tools for a given task.
- We rely upon Kubernetes as a microservices architecture and “kubectl as a service” across public and private clouds.
- We manage everything else in our common Kubernetes infrastructure, including package management, networking & service mesh.
- We provide standard infrastructure for both telemetry and log management, all the way through to application tracing and dashboards.
- We operate in an evolving environment where new technology and processes are rapidly adopted without losing quality.
- We develop application archetypes & training materials and assist application developers in making the best use of this infrastructure.
- We are a geographically distributed team, including fully remote workers.
We are looking for strong engineers anywhere along the DevOps pipeline, from Software Designers to Operation Engineers across our different infrastructure and technology development streams.
- You will work with other members of your team to investigate feature requests, perform detailed analysis, create specifications, build, test and implement new functionality.
- You will diagnose and correct problems in live infrastructure in support of our production clients.
- You will leverage frameworks, tools & automation to ensure quality software deliveries.
- You will help standardize on key monitoring metrics and alerts that will drive the DevOps nature of the team.
- You will support a follow-the-sun operations approach, working with colleagues across three continents.
- You will work in an agile way, using agile development and infrastructure techniques.
- You will collaborate with your peers across the transformation effort ensuring that best practices are followed throughout the organization.
- You will mentor and assist in training more junior members of your team including recent graduates.
- You will be an active member in the Open Source communities surrounding the technologies that we use on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will have the following skillset:
- Demonstrable experience delivering an end to end solution from requirements capture to implementation and support, ideally in financial services or large enterprise domains.
- A degree in computer science or related computational discipline or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Demonstrable experience in working on production-grade systems.
- Ability to learn about new technology innovation and creativity in applying it to business problems.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively in English both writing and speaking, and the ability to communicate technical subjects effectively through diagramming.
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company.
- Experience in CI / CD automation tooling like Jenkins or Concourse.
- Working knowledge of configuration management tooling such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt.
- Prior experience working on an Open Source project.
- Experience working in a financial services environment is a plus, but not a must-have requirement.