Excellent opportunity for Scientist based in Belfast.
Job Role: Scientist
Contract: Full Time (Part-time considered)
Supervisor: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Based on experience
To be an active member of the ProAxsis team, undertaking specialist technical and analytical duties for the development of laboratory-based assays and point-of-care tests, designed to measure clinically relevant active proteases in a range of samples. To perform and manage core laboratory activities and be involved in the planning and delivery of activities so that the overall research and commercial objectives of the company are met. To assist in training of new staff members and placement students.
- Manage production of products and reagents for inclusion within assay kits for distribution.
- Monitoring and assessing quality of products to ensure that quality control tests are conducted and meet required analytical standards.
- Responsibility and management of the receipt, storage and processing of clinical samples including, but not limited to blood, urine and sputum in accordance with HTA and GCLP regulations.
- Conduct assays including ELISAs, both for active protease biomarkers and other inflammatory markers, including, but not limited to cytokines/chemokines.
- Writing of Standard Operating Procedures, study plans and reports.
- Undertake core laboratory tasks such as preparation of solutions, storage of reagents and chemicals.
- Ensure knowledge of all instrumentation and responsible for maintenance of the equipment. Operate equipment/machinery/apparatus for research and clinical purposes in a standardised way.
- Assist in the maintenance of general cleanliness and tidiness within the laboratories.
- Assist in the removal and disposal of waste materials according to specified procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of stock control and re-ordering of goods and consumables.
- Maintenance of accurate records to include laboratory notebooks, log books, production records and related materials.
- Undertake basic research activities within R&D projects as requested under direction of the supervisor.
- Ensure that work is carried out in line with Standard Operating Procedures and local policies.
- Plan own day-to day activity within framework of the projects currently involved with.
- Presentation of regular progress reports to the supervisor and other members of the ProAxsis team as appropriate.
- Carry out routine administrative tasks as requested.
- Comply with Health and Safety Procedures affecting self and others.
- Read academic papers, journals and textbooks to keep abreast of developments in research area and related disciplines.
- Carry out any other duties which are appropriate to the post as may be reasonably requested by the supervisor.
- An academic and/or vocational qualifications e.g. 2 x A Levels, OND/ONC, NVQ level 3 or equivalent in a relevant subject, e.g. Applied Science or health science subject (Biomedical Science, Immunology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Human Biology).
- Able to understand and follow SOPs.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and demonstrate standard equipment and techniques.
- Ability to work within established procedures but with minimal supervision.
- Ability to plan own work schedule responding to new pressures and adjusting priorities.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to provide standard guidance and advice to colleagues.
- Degree in Biology, Biochemistry or relevant area.
- Evidence of training related to specific technical or scientific area relevant to the post.
- Awareness of clinical significance of laboratory findings and implications for patients.
- Experience of performing analytical assays such as Immunoassays.
- Experience of working with clinical samples.
- A minimum 1 year’s relevant work experience within a Health Science Laboratory.
To apply please click the APPLY NOW button below and your send cv outlining how you meet the criteria
Closing Date: 16th November 2018