Location UK / Ulster
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Updated 7 days ago
Designer Group is a leading Global Engineering Contractor specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply and installation of utilities. Due to our continued growth, Designer Group are looking for a Mechanical Project Engineer.
Mechanical Project Engineer
Designer Group is a leading Global Engineering Contractor specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply and installation of utilities. Headquartered in Dublin, with regional offices in Limerick, the UK, Germany, Africa and the USA, we directly employ over 1000 staff across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies.
Our people are the foundation to our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.
Roles and Responsibilities:
(1) Drawing Work
· Preparation of design drawings with a design input.
· Carrying out alternations to working drawings.
· Reviewing red line drawings
· Creation of as installed drawings.
· Communication with other staff to ensure drawings are the most recent and that office and site drawings are the same.
· Maintenance of Drawing Register Sheets on Site and in Head Office.
· Dealing with and storage of incoming, outgoing and internal drawings and register sheets.
· Monitoring drawing control.
· Working with 3D drawing models, creating and editing
· Building object orientated drawing databases within the specialist software platforms.
· Taking an active part in the co-ordination of services drawings liaising with project team.
(2) Estimation/Financial Work
· Extracting information from project work to be priced.
· Gathering and recording such information.
· Generating cost enquiries, communication with suppliers and sub-contractors to obtain price and design related information.
· Carrying out variations on projects and issuing up to date correspondence.
· Issuing up to date VO Sheets.
· Drawing Take-Offs – comparison of tender/new revisions and preparing additional works/take-off for pricing.
· Confirm verbal instructions when AI’s are not received.
(3) Technical Approval, Procurement and Purchasing
· Liaising with Purchasing Manager and working to Designer Group Purchasing policies and systems.
· Liaising with relevant/Project Manager in relation to raising Internal Requisitions and generation of Purchase Orders.
· Dealing with suppliers to obtain most cost-effective order price this will be done in conjunction with the relevant/Project Manager.
· Obtaining details/submittals from suppliers for presentations to the project team.
· Ensuring procurement schedules up to date and issued weekly.
· Manage programming of works in conjunction with the relevant/Project Manager, and monitor building progress; specified and alternative equipment submittals, compliance with regulations and issue weekly progress reports.
· Co-ordination of installation.
· Assisting others managers if required.
· Liaising with operations staff, suppliers, clients and project teams on a daily basis and based on project requirements.
· Fulfilling commitments in relation to issuing weekly project related progress reports to include RFI schedule; procurement schedule, program update; current progress status; key issues etc.
· Ensure full understanding and compliance with Designer Group policies and procedures through day to day working.
· Comply with Designer Group’s Quality, Safety and Environmental Systems, liaising with both the Health & Safety Manager and Quality Managers.
· Contributing to the design process
· Keeping up to date with current electrical regulations
· Working with suppliers to generate technical submittals to client’s requirements.
· Lighting design software relux
· Cable sizing software Amtech
· Sizing of electrical loads
· Switch gear selection and cable selection
· Contributing to and maintaining pre-construction manuals, construction manuals and operation and maintenance manuals.
(6) Assistance of Contract Manager
· Work under the supervision of the Contracts Manager under the following headings
· Required to supervise and direct operations on M&E Projects, ensuring projects are completed safely, to a high quality standard, on time and within budget.
· Assist in manage all aspects of programming of works and monitoring building progress; specified and alternative equipment submittals, compliance with regulations and issue weekly progress reports.
· Supervision of personnel on site – specialist sub-contractors, agency and direct employees.
· Co-ordination of installation.
· Review design process to ensure that installations are fit for purpose.
· Ensure weekly progress reporting is issued, for example RFI’s, procurement schedules, technical submittals, program responses, critical date, identification and any documentation that is specific to projects which you are involved in. In order to achieve this, it is important that a full understanding of all aspects of the project is known.
· Oversee the contracting process with chosen sub-contractors and ensuring all works are carried out correctly and as per contract and specification.
· Co-ordination of plant movement and plant records and keeping log records up to date and accurate and reporting plant issues.
· Co-ordination of plant movement and plant records and maintaining log records up to date and reporting plant issues.
· Co-ordination of delivery of materials to site, when required, including checking quantity and quality of deliveries and taking full responsibility for same.
· Liaison with clients, main contractors and other trades personnel as and when required.
· Attendance at all project related and management meetings.
· Attend regular progress meetings with both the design team and sub-contractors and effectively control the use of both labour and materials.
· Minutes of meetings
· Carry out surveys of installations. Ensure the installations are ready for commissioning on the due dates and manage commissioning so that no liquidated damages are incurred on any projects.
· Inspection, testing, commissioning and witnessing plans.
· Take part in value engineering and financial aspects of projects and follow guidance and direction of such meetings
· Close out project successfully and to budgeted profit levels.
· Commercial awareness – requesting and monitoring of instructions, issue of work records, labour returns, provision of information for costing of variations etc.
· Be responsible for implementing Designer Group Health and Safety Procedures, and reporting to the Company’s Health & Safety Manager.
· Comply with Designer Group’s Quality, Safety and Environmental Systems including monitoring and maintaining site documentation.
· Comply with Designer Group Policies and Procedures throughout day to day working.
· Plan all labour and material requirements at least two weeks in advance, ensuring adequate stocks/materials are available on site at all times.
· Compiling lists of variations and issuing same to consultant engineers/quantity surveyors.
· Have a full understanding and knowledge of the financial status of projects which you are involved in.
· Will play a key role in the value engineering process of the project which will include setting budgets, achieving targets, identifying variations and changes. Closely monitoring the usage of materials and resources on site.
· Procurement of subcontract, plant and materials in conjunction with Procurement Department taking full responsibility for achieving commercial buying targets.
· Ensure subcontract/plant scopes are prepared to ensure that there are no grey areas in the package and to ensure that risks are offset via the supply chain.
· Ensure productivity monitoring is put in place for all direct employed/agency operatives.
The ideal candidate must have:
· Mechanical Engineering Degree – Level 6/7 OR Building Services Degree qualification.
· Working knowledge of current fire alarm and emergency lighting regulations.
· Knowledge of engineering software tools – Relux, Amtec etc.
· Thorough working knowledge of MS Office.
· A desire to work in a fast paced environment.
· Excellent time management and communication skills.
· Ability to work on own initiative