Location UK / UK
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Salary Not disclosed
Updated 2 days ago
Legal Support Officer
An opportunity has arisen within the Belfast Legal Department within the Markets and Securities Services business. This role will involve providing legal and implementations support to the Securities Services business, particularly our internal clients such as Product, Sales, Relationship, Implementation Managers and Citi Legal Counsel.
The role involves conducting comprehensive reviews of all documentation returned to the bank and thoroughly examining the documentation for correctness and completeness, to comply with Citibank’s procedures, the customer’s ruling statutes and applicable legal requirements. The successful individual will also work on reviewing/negotiating a range of standard legal agreements and be responsible for a range of administrative duties, such as arranging the execution and lodging of documentation.
Citi’s Legal Department in Belfast is a team of approximately 90 staff, covering a range of products and services across Citi’s EMEA region.
The Belfast Legal Department provides a range of services, support and advice to many business areas; incorporating transaction negotiation, master agreement negotiation, and oversight of compliance and regulatory requirements.
The role will involve an active engagement with the business, principally out of Belfast, but there will also be daily interaction with the rest of the EMEA region.
• Ensuring that processes that fall within the responsibility of the legal team are carried out – this includes ensuring that all documentation requirements have been met for account opening approval and that the necessary approvals are obtained (including KYC (Know Your Customer), MiFID Classification, Board Resolutions, Authorised Signatories);
• Negotiating/reviewing legal documentation with internal/external customers to reach agreement on the contents of the Bank’s legal documentation, through telephonic or electronic negotiation.
• Close liaison with internal businesses/Dublin Legal in connection with the negotiation of legal agreements in the Securities Services business.
• Building relationships around the EMEA branch network with legal counsels and implementation contacts and looking at improving documentation requirements and flows with the branches.
• Understand documentation requirements for the Securities Services business.
• Liaising with implementations, relationship and sales managers to ensure deal deadlines are met.
• Advising risk and relationship on potential legal risks involved in changing documentation.
• Ensuring Citibank’s and regulatory policies are maintained, and where deviations are necessary, ensuring appropriate risk and / or business approval is obtained.
• Maintain accurate status reports on negotiation developments within the team.
• To exercise best practice in documentation management and to assist in developing an archive of precedent negotiated documents.
• The successful candidate will be expected to develop a strong understanding of Citi’s Securities Services products and services, and Securities Services client base.
• The successful candidate will be instrumental in providing legal support and gaining experience in a wide range of product documentation in Securities Services across a multitude of jurisdictions within the EMEA region.
• Experience working in a fast paced legal or large service orientated organisation.
• Previous negotiation experience is useful but not essential.
• Comprehensive training will be provided.
• Ability to work within a team
• Working knowledge of PC operating systems.
• Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) at all organisational levels with internal business partners and external customers.
• Ability to effectively organise own workload and coordinate team processes.
• Strong attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
• True self-starter
• Ability to provide continuous feedback and to regularly follow up on all outstanding issues.
• The workload is high volume and will require the candidate to work quickly and efficiently.
• The successful candidate must have a high quality academic record including a degree qualification in the relevant discipline of law or business studies.
• Proactive and shows Initiative
• Customer Service Orientation
• Effective Planning and Organisation
• Attention to detail and accuracy
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success.
Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer