Colin Sure Start have established a support programme for families who have children aged 0-4 years with Additional and/or complex needs within the Colin area. The project will compliment the work currently being undertaken.
The role will involve working with families with children aged 0-4 years providing a supportive service within the home and community setting focused on the needs of families and children with additional and/or complex needs in order to assist the Sure Start team in achieving the aims and objectives of the Project. S/he will be responsible for organising and implementing a stimulating and varied programme of activities for children with Additional and/or Complex Needs aged 0-4. The role will require engagement with families individually and within group settings in order to enhance the quality of life of children with additional needs within the Colin area. S/he will also offer support, assistance and information to parents/carers and the wider staff team.
- To provide a safe, stimulating and varied programme of play and learning opportunities for children under 4 years, suitable to individual children’s age and stage of development and appropriate to their best interests.
- To ensure a child-centred and welcoming environment at all Sure Start programmes and activities.
- To promote inclusion and develop practice in line with the holistic development of children and to work in the interest of children at all times, while ensuring the maintenance and development of a welcoming child-centred environment.
- To engage in partnership working within the Colin area through undertaking a scoping exercise relating to services currently provided to support families of children aged 0-4 years with additional and/or complex needs.
- To promote a partnership approach through signposting parents to relevant agencies who can provide appropriate support.
- To work with Early Years staff within Sure Start and the local community to ensure that children with additional needs can reach their potential.
- To provide 1:1 support on a short-term basis for children experiencing challenges integrating into the group setting, liaising closely with the staff team.
- To assist in the development of support groups specific to children with additional/complex needs, ensuring that a holistic family approach is employed
- To guide and support the Early Years Team in consultation with the Early Year’s Coordinator in relation to ensuring that observation, planning and evaluation takes into consideration children with additional/complex needs.
- To contribute to the development of programmes and activities for children specific to their needs e.g. physical, learning or sensory disability or development delay, on a group and individual level.
- To establish supportive relationships with parents enabling them to develop their children’s potential and to develop & deliver programmes that promote and actively encourage parent-child interaction.
- To develop and maintain good relationships with other agencies, community groups, children, parents, volunteers, schools and nurseries and to seek professional advice about changes in a child’s wellbeing.
- To contribute to assessment, planning, reviewing and record keeping for referred children.
- To liaise with any other relevant agencies regarding the welfare of children, implementing a planned strategy of intervention where necessary and assisting staff with integration of children with additional needs.
- To promote and provide sensory sessions in line with assessed need of individual children.