Excellent opportunity for a Design Manager based in Belfast
JOB TITLE: Design Manager
REPORTS TO: Technical Director
LOCATION: The Company’s construction sites throughout the UK
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Reporting to the Technical Director, the post holder will be responsible for managing the overall design of the projects allocated to them, this will include appointing, managing and monitoring progress of Consultants, designers and specialist sub-contractors. Ensuring that the design is progressed in such a manner as to achieve all of the contracted deliverables, whilst maximising commercial opportunities and ensuring that all design information is released in lines with the requirements of the project construction programme and procurement schedule.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the contents of the Employers Requirements and Performance specifications, look for opportunities to develop the detailed design to maximise margins and reduce latent risks to Gilbert Ash.
- Negotiate and execute the appointments, scope and fees of consultants and designers.
- Prepare design programmes and Information Release Schedules, get designers and specialist sub-contractor buy-in to these timescales and then manage the process and monitor progress during the course of the project
- Review key materials and interfaces to ensure they are fit for purpose and provide long-term durable solutions without exposing Gilbert-ash to unnecessary latent maintenance or H&S risks.
- Review all design information to ensure it is clear, complete, meets statutory requirements, complies with the ERs and is fully coordinated with all other disciplines.
- Organise, schedule and chair technical meetings with members of the design team and supply chain, during the pre and construction phases of the project. Generate technical queries and monitor response performance.
- Attend Client meetings to report on design release/ design development progress, ensuring support and guidance is offered to the client in relation to requests and their obligations in the building design.
- Participate in tender submissions and produce answers to questions to support the construction logic in line with coordination, design management, Breeam, etc. Attend and Present at Client interviews.
- Review tender drawings and assist the Estimating team in understanding any gaps or risks within the tender design
- Manage the RFI process, raise the RFI, chase the relevant party, report on progress and close out.
- Manage the DAR (Document Approval Request) process, raise the RFI, chase the relevant party, report on progress and close out.
- Manage the Sample approval process, in a timeous manner, chase the relevant party, report on progress and close out. This applies both to Planning requirements and sample requirements within the ERs.
- Set-up and manage Drawing Control protocol for issuing drawings and onward distribution to sub-contractors and the wider project team.
- Oversee the BREEAM tracker, ensure all designers fulfil the requirements and provide the evidence for credits allocated to them. Assist the Contracts Manager and QS in providing the evident required for contractor allocated credits
- Provide technical / commercial support to the project surveyor, in relation to design development, VE, potential variations and settlement of final accounts.
- Contribute to the compilation of the project handover documentation, O&M manuals, H&S files, Building User Guides and as-built information.
- Develop construction staff knowledge through participation at technical meetings and site inspections, particularly, in relation to awareness of scope, installation logistics, programme and interface issues.
- Fulfil health, safety and welfare responsibilities as detailed in the Company’s Policy and in compliance with OHSAS 18001. Chair CMD design meetings to ensure that we fulfil our responsibility to design out H&S risks and if there are residual risks that can’t be designed out, that the appropriate management strategies and mitigation measures are implemented.
- Maintain quality and environmental control procedures in accordance with ISO 9001and ISO 14001.
- Ensure design process recognises current legislation, standards and codes of practice where appropriate.
Please click here to view full job description
To apply please click on the APPLY NOW button below to forward an up to date CV