Location UK / Belfast
Job Type Permanent full-time, TemporaryContract
Salary See description
Updated 1 week ago
Excellent opportunity for a Finance Officer based in Belfast
JOB DESCRIPTION – FINANCE OFFICER
The Lyric Theatre is Northern Ireland’s only full-time producing theatre.
Each year we produce 9 or 10 full-scale productions, 2 of which run concurrently at Christmas. We also receive visiting work from touring companies. We stage some 400 performances each year and are the largest employer of theatre practitioners in Northern Ireland. Our modern theatre opened in 2011 and consists of the 390 seat main stage and the 124 seat flexible Naughton Studio.
In recent years the theatre won 4 Irish Theatre Awards, was voted NI’s most welcoming theatre, staged co-productions with the Abbey Theatre, Soho Theatre and the Dublin Theatre Festival and toured to New York, London, Glasgow, and Dublin.
There are two group companies. The parent company (Lyric Theatre NI) is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. Lyric Theatre NI is the owner and operator of the theatre and is the primary recipient of grant funding.
Lyric Players Theatre Productions Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lyric Theatre NI and is responsible for producing professional theatre productions and the operation of food and beverage operations within the theatre. The successful café and bar are an important component of the business.
The combined turnover of the two companies is in excess of £2.5 million. The two companies employ in excess of 70 employees.
For more information on the Lyric Theatre visit www.lyrictheatre.co.uk.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The Finance Officer is a key position within the finance team, responsible for maintaining many of the core functions of the department. Their primary role is to assist the Finance Manager in the preparation and reporting of accurate and timely management accounts, the analysis of variances and financial reporting.
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic individual looking to take the next step or consolidate their career in accounting and financial management. The role will be fully supported by the Finance Manager giving the opportunity for advancement and growth within the finance function.
The title of this post is Finance Officer.
The post is based at the administration offices at 55 Ridgeway Street, Belfast, BT9 5FB.
Annual Salary in the region of £21,000 – £24,000 per annum (dependant on experience)
The position is permanent and full-time. The notice period is 1 month.
The appointment will commence with a probation period of six months which may be terminated at a month’s notice by either side during the period. During this time the organisation reserve the right to dismiss the employee for unsatisfactory performance without recourse to the disciplinary procedure.
20 days discretionary plus bank/public holidays. There may be occasions when it is required to work on a public or bank holiday for which a day in lieu will be given.
The standard working week will be 37.5 hours over 5 days however due to the nature of this position some degree of flexibility is required from the post holder to meet the demands of the theatre’s schedule.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
o the operation of an effective wages/salary payment system by BACS,
o reconciliation and payment of Income Tax, National insurance and pensions schemes as appropriate;
1. At least 2 years’ experience working in a similar role in a busy finance function;
2. Holder of, or currently studying towards, a professional accountancy qualification (e.g. IATI, ACCA ) or a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
3. Experience of using Sage Line 50 or a similar accounting package
4. Experience of Payroll processing using Sage Payroll or a similar payroll package
5. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including intermediate or advanced Excel Skills;
6. Ability to achieve a high level of accuracy and work to strict monthly deadlines.
1. Experience of the Management accounts process
2. Experience of working in the voluntary/charity sector.
3. Experience in Human Resources Administration
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
1. Strong inter-personal skills, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
2. An enthusiastic and flexible approach to work
3. The ability to plan and manage their own workload
4. A natural problem solver with the ability to multi-task
5. The ability to prioritise and plan their time effectively
6. Natural aptitude for figures and attention to detail.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria and desirable criteria (if applicable), together with an Equality Monitoring form by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon Friday 17th August 2018
Only those applicants who appear, from the information provided, to be the most suitable in terms of the selection criteria may be called for interview. It is the applicant’s responsibility to demonstrate clearly in their CV and Cover Letter how they satisfy the published selection criteria. It is essential that applicants provide evidence of how they meet the selection criteria, giving examples and specifying exact dates as appropriate.
All applications for employment are considered strictly on the basis of merit.
Canvassing will disqualify. Late applications will not be considered.
It is proposed that interviews for this post will be held during the week commencing Monday 20th August 2018.
1. If you are successful after shortlisting, depending on whether you will be working with children and/or vulnerable adults, you will be required to undergo an ACCESS NI check.
2. If you are required to undergo an Access NI check, a copy of their Code of Practice will be made available to you.
3. You will also be required to disclose any unspent criminal convictions as defined by The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups NI Order 2007 & The Rehabilitation of Offenders (NI) Order 1978.
The Lyric theatre has a policy on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders which can also be made available to you.
4. Disclosure of a criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to obtaining the position within the Lyric theatre. You will, however, be asked to disclose if there is any reason why you cannot work in regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults.
The Lyric Theatre is an Equal Opportunities Employer